Saturday, April 23, 2011

Are they REALLY brother and sister?

I was ranting a bit on facebook recently about this very question; one that I get more than you can imagine.  After blowing off a little steam about it and the many strangers that feel the need to inquire about matters that are none of their business, I began to think about my children's bond.

What makes Katie Starr and Ethan brother and sister?

Everything that makes children that share genetics brother and sister; except for the genetics. 
That is it!  They lack the same DNA and blood...big deal!

What they share is parents.  

They share a home.

They share a family.

They share their friends.

They share their toys...and I mean really share!

They share a bath tub.

They share a sense of humor...well, mostly Katie but Ethan is getting one as well.

They share a school; heck they even share a grade.

They used to share a room and wish they still did.

They share their imagination....with each other....constantly.

They share a desire to learn.

They share a birth country that is not shared with us...or many others in this country.

They share a religion.

They share the holidays.

They share a love and devotion to their parents, brother, sister-in law, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

They share so many things....

Mostly what they share is a deep and abiding love for each other; one that is truly like no other that I have ever seen between siblings.  There are days that the loyalty and devotion that I see between them brings tears to my eyes.  They are there for each other, have each others back and miss each other like crazy cakes when they are apart.

Simply put.........Katie Starr and Ethan REALLY are brother and sister!  

That was their destiny and it is our good fortune to be a part of it.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! I hate that question, too and I get it OFTEN (my middles from ET are 6 months apart)! Good answers here!! I usually say yes, and this is their older brother (my oldest is from China). People insist on clarifying "you know what I mean". I want to say yes, I do. And so do they!

Anonymous said...

My two are now 12 and 10 - both from China. People still ask that question and I just say, "in every way but blood". I'm very comfortable with that, as well as my girls are too. This comment quickly relaxes those who ask and we seem to move on to other things like "they are so beautiful", etc.

Tammie said...

Absolutely. Katie Starr & Ethan are an amazing set of siblings. Makes me look back & wish I had that closeness with my brother.

The funny thing is that lately whenever Erin & I are with Jolene & her girls, we get asked if Erin & Jade are twins. And that can be by Chinese people too!

Sharla said...

I get asked this all the time (in addition to our two teenagers, we have virtual twins and virtual triplets). I love this post as it is just how I feel.