Sunday, December 17, 2006

Our Starr has been named again

Katie Starr had her Jewish naming ceremony today so our sweet girl now has her third name.
Here are Katie's three names:
Chinese name: Wu Hong Shan
American Name: Katie Starr Hongshan
Hebrew Name: Kayla Shaina
Kayla is the name of Marc's great Grandmother. Everyone called her Katie and she was very beloved in his family. In Jewish tradition you name a child to honor the dead. It took us all of one minute to name our Katie for this sweet woman. It truly was a no brainer.
Shaina mean beautiful in Hebrew as Shan does in Chinese. Between that and the "S" for Starr it was the perfect second name for her.
We had a very small ceremony at the house. I had prepared something to read during the ceremony and I melted into a big pile of mush. I am not normally a public cryer but I was speaking about the future life of our daughter and the tears started flowing. Justin walked up next to me and put his arm around me and read a poem for the occasion. The tears really flowed then. It is so true that being a parent means that your heart walks around outside of your body for the rest of your life.
Today was truly a special day for us. We named our daughter in Jewish tradition with our closest family and friends at our side. To top it off; Great Grandma Katie's sister Cele was there to see her sister honored in this way. Like I said; it was a truly special day.

6 comments:

Stacey T. said...

Those are each beautiful names. I love the name Kayla!!!! When will her Jewish name be used??? Is it just celebratory?

Monica said...

Mazel Tov!

Julie said...

and now I'm at my desk crying just thinking about the occaision. Have a wonderful holiday season with sweet Katie, watch those candles:)

Tammie said...

Mazal Tov!! I can just see you & Marc standing there with your beautiful Katie Starr. Hearing Justin read his poem in honor of his sister must have been quite a moment for you.

Anna said...

Congratulations to you all! I love the 2006 Holiday Photo too!

njdental said...

AS LORI STATED THIS NAMING OF OUR BELOVED KATIE STARR WAS A BEAUTIFUL AND EMOTIONAL TIME FOR ALL. KATIE WAS MY LOVING MOM'S NAME AND LIFE CONTINUES ON AS A RIVER FLOWS ENDLESSLY AND A TREE CONTINUES TO GROW BY BRANCHING OUT AND THROUGH OUR KATIE STARR MY MOMS' INFLUENCE AND LIFE AS WE KNOW IT CONTINUES TO FOSTER. WE REFER TO KATIE AS OUR KATIE BECAUSE SHE IS AND BELONG TO ALL SO DEAR AND NEAR TO HER. AND LORI I HAD ALL I COULD DO TO KEEP MY LEVIE OF TEARS FROM GUSHING OUT,
LOVE
UNCLE\HOWARD