Saturday, July 19, 2008

Papa; don't you know that I am a girl?

I swear that I could create a whole new blog based on the funny things that the kids say and do. That was part of the reason that I have kept this blog going. I figure it will help me remember when I am not as young (ahem!) as I am today ;-)

Today, Marc went out to partake in a little golfy with his friend, Tom and I took the DD out to meet my mom and dad (Nana and Papa) for some lunchy.

We were having a nice time and Katie was her usual VERY talkative self. Every time she received something or someone said something nice to her she said Thank you (She has gotten very good with her pleases and thank yous) My dad turned to her and said.....

Papa: "Katie, your manners are impeccable!"

Katie: "Nooooooooo!!" (looking horrified)

Papa: "What's wrong? Impeccable is a good thing!"

Katie: "I'm not PECKABLE, I'm a girl!!!" Of course, at this point my pop is playfully pecking at Katie with his nose...sheesh!

Me: "We know that you are a girl honey. The word is IMPECCABLE and it is a good thing. Would you like to know what it means?"

Katie: "Yes."

Me: "It means just about perfect; that your manners are just about perfect" (as I am writing this I am realizing that she did not understand the word: manners....no wonder she was so mixed up)

Katie: "I'M NOT PECKABLE: I'M A GIRL!! At his point she folds her hands over her chest and goes Harumph!! I am angry!!" ROFLMAO

Me: "We know you are a girl Katie :) It's OK."

Man oh Man; I sure wish that I had access to a blog 23 years ago when Justin was a baby. I remember that he was always cracking me up but for the life of me I cannot recall most of the funny things that he said now.

Oh and BTW, my pop was always throwing words like that at us when my sis and I were growing up. We also had to read about 90 minutes a day, aside from our homework, so you can only imagine the words that come out of my mouth sometimes. I used to hate it when I was a kid but I sure do appreciate it now. Of course, Marc and Justin tease me unmercifully about my choice of words. They are such haters (smirk)

4 comments:

Candy said...

Such a cute story. Katie sounds like Rachel. I tell her that she's my Sweet Baby Girl and she tells me "No, just Rachel!". Gotta love it.

Tammie said...

Absolutely adorable! I can just se Katie Starr doing all this. David & I are big believers in speaking to children without baby talk. We're always making sure that Erin understands the big words.

captain corky said...

My father taught me three or four words when I was a kid and I still use all of them to this day, multiple times an hour as a matter of fact. ;)

Vivian M said...

What a cute story! We have always used big words in front of Kerri, and sometimes we are surprised when she uses big words too. Especially since she does not pronounce them correctly yet and we have to try and figure out what she means!