Friday, August 15, 2008

"Little Buddy"

This is Katie's new name for her brother. She walks around here all day calling him that. When he is upset she will rub his back and say "it's OK little buddy" or when she is cheering for him like at swimming today; as he swam to the side of the pool she was right there to pat his head and say "good job little buddy!". It just melts my heart.

The last couple of days have been busy, both with back to school open houses, other activities and a full blown allergic reaction. Marc called me yesterday from the playground where he had been all of one minute to tell me that Katie's face was covered in huge red welts. After asking if she was breathing OK, I then of course directed him to run her over to the pediatrician (what else would a mama say?) If Marc was worried enough to call me then I knew it looked really bad. He is so not an alarmist. He ran her over and they immediately took her in and said it was definitely an allergic reaction to a plant or bug, prescribed a couple of doses of Benadryl and the direction that if it had not improved by the morning then we should bring her back in. It seemed to calm down last night but by the morning it was worse than yesterday and was even swelling one eye shut. OK, back to the doctor we go and her partner says that it seems to be an insect bite (I think it was a spider as I see 3 punctures on her leg) and that the allergic response can happen days later so there is no telling when it happened. the Doc says that it will come and go in waves for 4-6 days and that we are to continue with the Benadryl and Hydro cortisone cream for the swelling and itch. He does not want her to scratch and infect the welts. Of course, all of it happens on open house day for both children and swimming lessons. It was a break neck pace all morning until I got them home at 2:00 and they literally collapsed into their beds (especially Katie who was under the influence of Benadryl)

Oh and BTW, Marc volunteered to be the room father at open house. You gotta love that!

8 comments:

Tammie said...

Goodness your kiddos do it up right the first time! Poor Katie Starr! And of course poor you & Marc also. It's so alarming to have that kind of reaction. Now I know for sure there's link between our children. Everyone who knows us is aware to watch out for spiders & get Erin away immediately. I'm sorry that you guys have to be on the same list.

I am so not surprised to hear that Marc volunteered to be a room father. For whom? Katie Starr? Ethan? Or both?

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about Katie Starr! That is a terrible thing to have to go through. We hope she is feeling better soon.
School starts Monday and my baby boy- is starting highschool.
Have a great weekend.
gotta love a Dad that volunters to be the room Dad.

Minouche said...

OMG, Lori!!!! What a scare!!!! I hope Katie gets well SOON!!! poor baby!! I can only imagine how hectic these two days have been for you and Marc!

Candy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Katies reaction to whatever it was. I know this can be very frightening. I hope she is feeling better real soon. Let me know if you need any help with anything.

Kelley said...

Yikes! Katie has bad reactions like Chloe does...interesting to know that your doctor and my doctor are on the same page in regards to treatment. I LOVE that Katie calls Ethan her little buddy. That is just precious! I truly enjoy reading stories about the Dynamic Duo!

Diana said...

Poor Katie..My son has gotten it twice on his ear and OMG it was DOUBLE in size. I hope she is feeling better soon.
Your husband is a WONDEFUL (but you already know that:)
Have a good week!

Mary said...

Oh, my! Lori, I am so sorry that Katie (and everyone else in your house!) went through this. Livie is highly allergic to any type of bug bite, and Murphy's Law...every bug is attracted to her. Sigh. You may want to think about an epi-pen if this is the case with Katie. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
Hope Katie feels better soon!

njdental said...

Poor Katie. What did younger brother Ethan say when hie big sister had ithe insect allergy reaction. Did he say poor Katie or poor Kate. Do not the insect know not to bite her. SHe is too sweet and they love the smell and taste of sweet. bath her in vinegar, I pray for her to heal fast.
Love Always
Uncle howard