Saturday, December 06, 2008

Yo Mama!!

Strange title I know but that was a direct quote from our children's Chinese Cultural "Mommy and Me" class today. I know that this is not how it is probably spelled and I am not even sure what it meant, as it was part of a larger sentence and a confusing one at that. None the less, it made all of us mama's and baba's laugh pretty darn hard to hear a Chinese woman who does not really speak much English say "Yo Mama." When we began laughing the teacher joined in. I really do not think she knew what was so funny but she liked that it helped to create a little levity. She repeated the phrase a few more times during class and each time she would begin by giggling before saying "Yo Mama" again and again. During one of those laughter sessions a couple of my buddies called out to me that they knew that I would be blogging about this and yes, they were right ;0)


That was a little bit of the fun that was had at our FCC South Florida's first foray into the world of educating our children and ourselves on Chinese Culture. Now mind you, we are talking about the education of 2,3 and 4 year old's as well as their mostly confused parents, so to begin with we began with a few simple phrases, songs, dances and a fun little hand game. This class was kind of a trial run as the teacher wanted to see what would work and what would not. I think she found that this age group takes a while to warm up but warm up they finally did. Katie Starr was very excited about going and she did a great job of listening and trying her best. She kept whispering to me that we had to show Daddy and Ethan this and that. I will probably bring Ethan to the next session but felt he was not quite ready for this one. It would have been too difficult to manage both when Ethan is still quite the mischief man. Marc works most Saturdays so he could not assist me in focusing on one while I helped the other. Hopefully, next session we will be there with both.

We are very lucky that in the city in which we live there is a large Chinese population and we have a Chinese Cultural Association. They are VERY receptive to our group which is awesome!

Here are some photos from this inaugural session which will go down in infamy as the "Yo Mama" class!







3 comments:

Vivian M said...

Awww, now I am curious as to what Yo Mama meant! What a wonderful opportunity for your children to learn more about their culture!

Tammie said...

Yo Mama? Sounds like quite the class to me! It looks like everyone had a nice afternoon. I can't believe all the children are old enough for a class! I just wish that I could have gotten Erin to join in. Maybe the next session. In the meantime, I'll just have to watch through you gals!

Gail said...

Wow! You are so fortunate that you have this in your area...Yo Mama...that cracks me up. Now I'm going to keep saying that all day long. Yo Mama!

I just remembered that Will's Chinese name is You Sheng. You is pronounced Yo. Of course I'm sitting here and can't remember what 'You' means and will have to look it up. :)