Monday, November 16, 2009

Nothing worse than a sick child

It was a slow news day around here at "Stress Central." The big news story was that Katie Starr was really sick last night with severe vomiting and coughing; no fever though thank goodness. By this morning she seemed to be just fine. With all of the talk of H1N1, I am pretty fearful of every symptom that rears it's ugly head. Katie was vaccinated last Thursday but it takes weeks to take any effect and she gets her booster in a month. Ethan gets his shot this week in school.

I am sure that all of the parents that read this blog can relate to the fact that there is nothing, absolutely, positively nothing worse than when one of our children is sick. Especially when they are very sick.

Justin was a pretty sickly young child and it took several sets of ear tubes, his adenoids out twice and finally his tonsils removed before things improved, although his ears will always remain his weak spot. When he was sick he always spiked crazy high temps and did so for long periods of time. Once he hovered aound 105 for almost a week...it was horrible.

With my DD, it is Katie that scares us the most and that is so weird considering that Ethan has repaired congenital heart defects and an underdeveloped trachea. Strangely, he is the one that can throw off things much easier than our Starr who can go from zero to 60 in no time flat on the sickness race track. One moment she is fine and the next she is scaring the you know what out of us. Since her bout with Pneumonia last May, I am even more petrified. None of the kiddos have every scared me to that extent.

If one wish could be granted to me it would be that my children never had another ill day for the rest of their lives. Pretty much a long shot but hey, it's my fantasy and a girl can dream, can't she?

In the meantime, I will use all of my mama hocus pocus and pull out all the stops to make them feel better when they are down and try my best to avoid it happening in the first place.

7 comments:

Tammie said...

I hate hearing that any of our children are sick. The worry that comes with a sick child is the worst kind ever. I'm glad to hear that Katie Starr is on her way back to herself.

Love Letters To China said...

Give Katie a big hug from me! I hope she is feeling better very soon. I too hate it when the kids are sick. You feel so helpless...

Hugs...

Monica said...

Sick child, worried momma. Not a happy combo, but if Katie gets any comfort when she is sick, it is her mommy & daddy taking care of her. I'm glad that Katie is feeling better. Our first year home Katie was sick all the time, once she got ear tubes it got dramatically better.

Kelley said...

Poor Katie Starr! I hope that she's feeling better soon!

Donna said...

I know exactly what you mean. When Michael was little, he'd have febrile seizures when his fever spiked. I would sit in a chair next to his bed and watch him all night long. I was afraid to sleep when he was sick and would often overlap doses of tylenol and ibuprofin in an attempt to keep the dreaded fever from spiking. It. Was. Horrible!!

Thank God my kids are health(ier) now. But the worry never ends, does it.

Donna
Our blog: Double Happiness!

Wanda said...

I agree. It's the hardest part of parenting - when a chid is really sick. Downright scary.

Hope Katie is feeling better already.

Wanda (at Last...)

Lead Abatement Huntsville said...

Grateful for sharing thiis